Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Dr. Steven R. Goldstein MD- Concierge Gynecologist in NYC - To HMO or not to HMO

Doctor Steven R. Goldstein MD is a Concierge gynecologist in private practice for over 25 years. Dr Goldstein had this to say regarding HMOs in volume 1, issue 1 of The Doctor’s View by New York University Medical Center. 

To HMO or not to HMO…why I don’t join HMO plans 

I am often asked “When am I going to join a plan which is offered at work?” by many of my patients. My response is “you wouldn’t like me on those plans”. My patients need to realize I am a solo practitioner.  I see patients one at a time. I take my histories by pen and by ink. I talk to every patient after every visit, no matter how trivial, dressed again in the consultation room. I do not have nurse clinicians and “Physician extenders” doing much of the work that I feel you come to see the doctor for. We do not have a ten page history intake form that is simply scanned into a computer. We do not have an answering system with “Press 1 for appointments, Press 2 for insurance”. We do not have a videotape library in the waiting room. If you have a problem I sit with you and explain for as long as I need to be sure that you understand the nuances of your particular diagnosis and treatment plan. 

This expert gynecologist in New York City goes on to say: 

Managed care medicine (HMOs) in Ob/gyn is a commitment to VOLUME. Out of financial necessity, more people need to come through the door. This is why they use “Physician extenders” in the form of videotape libraries, nurse clinicians,  pamphlets, and nutritionists and all types of paramedical assistance to make the patient feel that the visit has been worthwhile and productive although the time spent with the physician him or herself is incredibly short. 

I choose not to practice medicine that way. I urge you to attempt to maintain a Point of Service option in any plan that you may be offered. With a point of service option we can attempt to work with you and your insurance so that you can continue to see me “out of network”. 

Dr Steven R. Goldstein MD is a Concierge Gynecologist in NYC.  Dr Goldstein is is a Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at New York University School Of Medicine and the Director of Gynecologic Ultrasound at NYU Langone Medical Center. He is a Certified Menopause Practitioner and holds many other positions and accreditations. 

To learn about Dr Goldstein, an expert gynecologist in New York City and how he can help you, visit his website at www.goldsteinmd.com for more information on his practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment